Wharf InnOn A5199
The original ironstone building dates from 1814, and the inn was originally the George until 1947 when it became the Wharf. In its former incarnation as the George, it also served as the local coal/coke/lime/salt/and granite merchant! No doubt this was due to its convenient location at the terminus of the short Welford branch of the Leicester arm of the Grand Union Canal. The inn itself is situated at the extreme northerly end of the village right on the border with Leicestershire. Several walks can be started from here - a handy leaflet behind the bar is available. There is a small bottom bar, whilst up a couple of steps is the main bar, with an inglenook separating the drinking area from the restaurant area. Six hand pulls on the bar serve established micros beers, with Oakham Bishops Farewell or Inferno always on. There are 4 guest bedrooms and good value food is served lunchtimes and evenings. A beer festival is held in June. Local CAMRA Rural Pub of the Year 2017, Pub of the Season Summer 2015.