White ElephantKingsley Park Terrace
Built in 1883 as a hotel and residential club for racegoers, and originally called the Kingsley Park Hotel, this large corner pub sits at the junction of Kingsley Road and Kettering Road opposite the old racecourse. The hotel closed in 1904 following a fatal racing accident involving spectators, and the Jockey Club left it empty for 18 years. It was during this time that local residents started to refer to it as 'The White Elephant'. The original name was retained upon reopening as part of the Northampton Brewery Co. estate. In 1955 NBC applied to change the name to the White Elephant, a name it carried until a short-lived change to the Kingsley Park Tavern in the early 1990s before reverting back to the White Elephant due to public demand. The pub, via various PubCo changes eventually became part of the Greene King estate.